I survived the evening with the Dons. Barely.
We made the two and a half hour trek to Mexico, Missouri, in Peterson's 1987 blue Cadillac de Ville that he is so proud of. With the two grumpy old men in the front, I was content to have the back seat all to myself.
Every time we would pass by a pasture with cattle grazing...the Don's would both belt out their best cow sounds. Just killed me.
Then there were the history lessons from Peterson and the oil report from Donnie. Then tractors and farming and deer hunting. Then the sarcasm and the jokes and impromptu noises and best of all...the deep belly laughing...Guffawing actually.
We lost the game 7-0. I'm glad football season is officially over.
Max rode home with us, so we had Peterson behind the wheel. Max up front with his mohawk hair do...and Donnie and I in the back seat jockeying for sleeping positions. We arrived home shortly after midnight, where my precious children were sleeping soundly. They were the smart ones for staying home.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Post a comment: