Sunday, June 14, 2009

Stuck At The Farm...Where's That Farm Girl?

Acting like a city girl... that's where!
We went to the farm Friday night to do some work and fertilize our crop circles (food plots).
Saturday morning Don drove the tractor from the headquarters to the 440, another farm down the way. Donned in shorts and flip flops, I opted to go the opposite direction to buy groceries and pick up some breakfast. We agreed to meet back at the house later on.
When I got back, I decided to go check on Don...not having a clue where he was. Keep in mind this is not flat ground. It consists of hills and hollers and woods with some farmland in between.
So I was riding around jamming to the radio when low and behold I got the 4 wheel drive pick-up stuck in the bottom ground. The front wheel fell off into a muddy ditch that I didn't know existed. Now what? No cell phone service...no one knows my whereabouts...no neighbors in site...I'm smack dab in the middle of 440 mosquito and critter infested acres...wearing flip flops.
And the sky is looking ominous...it could storm any minute.
I decided to climb the daunting hill in search of cell phone service. I left Don several voicemails.
There's nothing but corn everywhere I look.At least I didn't tear up the pickup trying to get it out. That's a lesson I learned from previous experience.Seemingly out of nowhere...Don happened to round the corner and come across the pickup, noticed I wasn't in there...and started getting ready to pull the pickup out. I was in hollering distance and ran to greet him. When he saw me he just laughed. I was such a mess and crying like a baby. He wanted to know, "What happened to that farm girl?" because I was behaving like someone who'd never been out in the country.
At least I had my camera and a Dr. Pepper with me, the basic necessities of life.
Plus, I got a little exercise and saw some pretty country and lovely wild flowers. I guess being stuck at the farm wasn't so bad after all.Later on, Don had me listen to the messages I left on his phone. They were funny...except....I sounded exactly like Ma...in one of those messages she's left each and everyone of us at some point. Hmmmm. Guess I need to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: