Wednesday, February 25, 2009

An Adventurous Hump Day

Today was one of those days that I enjoy. It was an adventure.
This morning I went to St. James Winery to meet with their retail manager to get some ideas for the wine room/gift shop . As I approach the building, a nice looking gentleman behind me hurries ahead and opens the door for me. And behind him there is an entire entourage of 'secret service men'...wearing slacks and jackets and the infamous 'earpiece'. There had to be at least a dozen of them. Once inside, I moved off to a corner and just watched. I finally asked an employee what was going on. And here's the deal: The nearby military base trains men to protect the top brass as well as other high up officials such as the governor. Today, they visited the winery. It was really pretty neat to witness. Since these guys seemed so stone faced and unfriendly, I had the incredible urge to strike up a conversation and chit chat, but this time...I practiced some restraint. I stuck to business and got some great merchandising ideas.
Following the stop at the winery, I went to look at a counter/display case that came from the Montauk State Park's old post office. It is made from mahogany and glass...and is beautiful...and would look great in the wine room. I love beautiful pieces that have a significant history attached.
After that little excursion, I met my friend, Rhonda, for lunch at Sybill's. We stayed there visiting until nearly three o'clock.
And of course, I checked in at the hotel to see how things were progressing there. Joe was there to help pick out upholstery fabric, so that's one more thing crossed off our list.
While on the road, I called my dad and he's always fun to talk to. I love his perspective on things. So refreshing.
Don called to let me know about his doctor's appointment. The verdict: His body is not converting sugar...causing the whole domino effect of issues and symptoms. The doctor gave him a medication for diabetes that will also suppress his appetite and cause weight to fall off rapidly. Once his blood sugar is controlled, everything else corrects itself. I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious. I was worried.
Now I'm back home trying to get caught up here. The kids got out of school at noon today and Bridgette is working until five. Don, Greg and Max went to the city, thereby giving me plenty of time to accomplish great things.
We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: